The Making of the 3 Little Dumplings

As any movie, with the launch of the story of the Three Dumplings, it was quickly followed up with the making.

It has been a Hun family tradition to make Bak Chang. It is a very time consuming project and much preparation was needed. The meat, mushroom & dried shrimps need to be marinated & stewed the day before. The rice had to be soaked the night before and fried with onions and garlic in the morning. The salted eggs had to cleaned and the leaves had to be washed and soaked. It was good that we had quite a few pair of hands and each took some to do. All the sisters gathered at my mother's place and started the to make the bak chang in the morning. We made abt 140 pcs this year. The finished bak changs before cooking in a big pot of boiling water for 3 hours!!
I had always like nonya chang so I tried to make some of it the following week. Besides the nonya ones, I also make some chicken meat ones so my helper can eat as she is a Muslim. Nonya chang is not as nice so there is much room for improvement....

9 comments:

Lydia said...

The movie and it's making is quite funny, haha!

You ladies had such good skill! And so thoughtful of you to made some for your helper.

Angie said...

mouth-watering!!!!!!!!!!!! where is your food-alert???? sigh. now i gt to wipe my keyboards.

Joyce Long said...

Wah..i simply love your food photos..always make me drool lah..

wolfgirl said...

Very traditional way of cooking...using charcoals and that set up in the coridor... seldom see it now. Brings back so much fond memories.

Anonymous said...

Woo... I like the new blog look.. very nice.... how did u manage this?
Baby G's Mummy

Elizabeth & Kenise said...

Ur bak chang is making me drooling but too bad it has been years I had stop eating bak chang as well.

viv said...

yes very tradition things we do in out family!!

haha thanks to Jac... he revamp our blog... nice rite... how to do it.. pls ask him!!

Eliz long timne no see & hear... how are you doing?

Elizabeth & Kenise said...

viv,
so far so gd but currently stuck at home for this week.Haiz.

wolfgirl said...

Hey, very very pretty skin!!!!

This is my online journal of things, events, happenings in my life. This will also be a online inheritance I leave for my dearest hubby Jacky & lovely son, Ezra.
 
Copyright 2009 Viv's Diary All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes